Monday, July 9, 2007

In The Groove


I know riding a motorcycle is dangerous. But it doesn’t feel that way when I ride. On small 2 lane roads across Central America lane sharing is a way of life. As the road twists through mountain passes, lumbering Mexican beasts of burden billow black toxic smoke. Your choice is to breath the smoke and let it fill your eyes, or go for it.

Weaving in and out of traffic I become hypnotized. The danger doesn’t register, I am leaning hard into a corner passing a chicken bus. When I can see around the bus there is a truck coming my way. I don’t flinch, I don’t brake, I put the front tire of the BMW right on the centerline. I’m not crossing my fingers, I feel no adrenaline. I don’t hope the vehicles next to me wont swerve. Somehow I know they wont change the path they are on. I feel completely in control of things completely out of my control.

Once while passing a bus I lifted my right hand off the throttle. With the throttle lock in place the bike continued to accelerate. At 60 mph while passing I reach out not thinking, just riding. I caught myself at the last second, realizing that dragging my hand along the bus was a really bad idea.

It is hard to describe the feeling I had. I was totally aware, yet unaware. In control, but out of control. Musicians playing together get in the “groove”. Soldiers in combat can speak without words. Motorcycle riders can control the space around them. Until they get hit. Then they lay on the ground, bleeding, and looking at their mangled bike, with a expression on their face like there has been some kind of mistake.

--Ryan

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger towsehouse said...

Ryan, my heart and love of travel rides with the two of you. You are actually experiencing the edge of life that most people rarely experience.

I related to your "In the Groove" posting as Dave and I returned from a 9 day back country trip in the Southern Sierras. While on the drive home, I was driving with Caitee in my "loved" Jeep Wrangler, towing a 17 foot "white" box trailer. Now my jeep rides on a 4" lift kit and 33" tires. While this looks sharp and performs excellent off road, it requires good driving skills in a pinch. Dave was driving in another car in front of me pulling a trailer of his own. While winding a bend in the road at about 45 to 50 mph, I find out the hard way that the trailer has bad weight distribution.

I sense that the Jeeps handling has changed. I look into my side mirrors and I see nothing but white where white shouldn't be. What's happening is the trailer is jack knifing on me. Now I have always claimed to be a good driver with a love of driving and must have some how picked up some "instinctual" skills along the way as I have never jack knifed before.

Dave see's this whole event play out in his side and rear view mirrors, where upon he cries out to other passengers in his car "oh my gawd she's going over". He said that I was a good 10 feet into a back and forth jack knife.

By some instinct, I knew not to hit my brakes, but let off the gas, steered through it, and only tapped my brakes. By the grace of GOD I pulled it out with surprisingly calm. In that moment, I knew how bad things could have been. It all seemed surreal. Until later when Dave gave me a high five for pulling it out, when he pulled over to see if all was well.

So in your blog comment "I feel completely in control of things completely out of my control, in that moment I understood what it like to ride the line.

May your travels be safe.

Love, Tami, Dave and Family

July 10, 2007 at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home