Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mahahual


I didn’t realize it until we got here, but I have been to Mahahual once before. I came with my family on a cruise ship a few years ago. I didn’t recognize the name because most Gringos simply call it Costa Maya.

The main road through town is made from sand, and the water is bright blue and green. With no cruise ship at the nearby port Mahahual is quiet and relaxing. I was walking down the deserted sandy street and saw a man trying to free his kite from a palm tree. I looked up to see where the kite was and saw this cloud passing by. The sun was streaming around the dark cloud making a giant halo. I stood in awe, watching it float by. I could look at the sky for the rest of my life and never see a cloud that perfect. A feeling of nirvana and peace came over me, I heard the cloud gently say, “Never leave this place.”

On our 2nd day a ship pulled up and the town transformed completely. Every inch of the sandy road is now covered with souvenir stores run by aggressive shopkeepers chasing tourists as they walk by. Bar owners beckoning for the cruisers to come in. During lunch today I made sure to mention we weren’t with the cruise boat that was at the port, and we wanted the real prices. I was surprised when he took the menu back and brought us a different one; everything on the new menu cost about $1 less.

Mahahual is a great town, but it would be better without the cruise ships turning it from sleepy to touristy.

--Ryan

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home