Sunday, May 27, 2007

Broken Down

We have been in Arizona 2 days and the Heritage Special has broken down twice. The guardian bell that Brady gave me must not like the heat as much as I do. The first time was on Saturday the 26th Ryan and I had just made it over the pass into Flagstaff when my bike suddenly died. I was able to push her into the parking lot of a Del Taco, the problem was easy to find a dead battery the fix was a bit troublesome I removed the battery and sent Ryan on a mission into unknown territory to try and find a new one. As I waited every person that passed seemed to have the answer on how to fix my bike. The first asked if I had checked the breathers I not knowing what those were informed him that of course I had. The next parking lot mechanic told me that if I was having trouble keeping it running that it must be the alternator. None of the five people that stopped to tell me how to fix my bike seemed to notice the apparent gap in the area where my battery used to be. After 20 minutes of evading every possible weekend wrench Ryan returned with the needed part a new battery. After a quick install we noticed that the positive and negative terminals were switched so I sent Ryan once again to find a longer positive cable when he returned we wired it up temporarily to get on our way to Sedona and Jerome.

Sunday the 27th we were on our way to Tucson everything was going well until we were just out side of Phoenix and suddenly my bike loses a tremendous amount of power Ryan and I pull over on the side of the highway to assess the problem. It starts fine has fuel but doesn’t run with the power that it once had so with a modified tow-strap made from 5-50 cord I have Ryan tow me to the next gas station. We call a few mechanics and realize that due to the Holliday that they are probably out riding their bikes or enjoying some air-conditioning. We find the nearest hotel and I have Ryan tow me there we are still trying to fix the bike but will probably have to wait until Tuesday to have a shop look at it. I hope and pray that this is not the end of the road for me.

--Mitch

1 Comments:

Blogger Reese said...

I hope that it isn't the end of the road for you either! You guys are getting a lot of recognition for your idea, and I think its an awesome blessing to be able to go for it! Hope you make it!

May 29, 2007 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home