Saturday, August 18, 2007

Breaking Point


Corinto, Guatemala
9255 Miles

After a long drive from El Salvador and a few nights in Copan Ruinas I made it to Corinto the northern Frontier of Guatemala and Honduras. On the Honduran side there is a large new customs building. A man there glaced at my passport and handed it back to me. I asked if there needed to be a stamp. He told me, “No we don’t give stamps here.” The guards down south had insisted they did. I cancelled the driving permit in Honduras and headed into Guatemala. When I came across the small shack housing the guards there, I stopped and pulled out a paper with 2 names on it. I had been given the names at the first border I was turned away from, they told me that they had telephoned these 2 guys in Corinto and they would be expecting me.

When I found 1 of the guys listed on the paper he didn’t know anything about my problem. He took 1 look at the expired permit and said there was nothing he could do. He said he could let me into the country but when I tried to leave they would want to see my permit. I’ll take my chances, this whole mess started when I was waved through this very border by the same guards who are telling me I will have to show a permit to get out. I’m likely to find the same thing on the other side.

During those 4 days when I was stuck on the Guatemala/Salvadorian border I reached a point where I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I didn’t care what happened to the bike or if I ever got home. I had hit my limit and didn’t have the strength to fight anymore.

This feeling of hopelessness, and despair is what I had come for. To put myself in a position where only I could help myself. Where there is no one to pat you on the back, and tell you everything is going to be all right. Your mind begins to fracture with each side pulling you to a new stage in your life. Whether you become a blathering idiot begging a Guatemalan border guard to let you in, or keep your cool until you can catch your 2nd wind is up to you. Travel is beautiful, enlightening, and sometimes heartbreaking, but never taking the journey means never finding out.

--Ryan

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger tazdeyo said...

hey Ryan a fellow beemer here. Thumbs up for the courage. couple of suggestions keep your feet up unless your going less than 5 if you fall or lose you slip at anything over that you wont hold the bike and could break your foot. If it gets to feel like to much know that philippians 4:13 says: I can do all thing through christ who strengthens me. I'll be praying for you.
TAZDEYO

August 21, 2007 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger amonik said...

hi ryan! it was really weird how i found this site. well let me tell you everything is going to be all right. Im guatemalan and let me tell you that the would let you pass, and im pretty sure that someone would help you, guatemalans always like to help. Well good luck and when everything is solved, i would be more glad to show some great places in Guatemala. You have missed a lot of this country. Good luck!!!

August 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow...what an adventure, and now when you look back at all that.. wow now you can just look back and be glad to be sitting in Springville UT HOME! it is good to travel but times like that are hard!

August 7, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home